The broken aspects of alumni ( after 500 games )

witcher gwent cards

In this post I want to highlight the what in my opinion are the things that are broken about the alumni deck and how to fix them. I have played around 500 total games with it, probably 300+ in the last season alone. I reached 2600 with it last 2 seasons and am 2550 with it rn. I know the ins and outs of the deck. The broken aspects:

1)Raffards Vengeance: Raffards is one of the dumbest cards in the game. Instead of nerfing the damage pings/cd cdpr just made it more inconsistent and untutorable. I would just make it 1 ping each and make it 6/7 cd and revert provision nerf.

2)Students: Students patience bring triggered in the wrong rows is really really dumb. For example against syndicate the correct line of play is actually to play your students in the wrong rows r1 so their philipa is worse. It looks so clowney to me even while piloting the deck when I play the students in wrong rows next to raffards but that is the objectively better way. Students patience triggers needs to be row locked to fix this.

3)Alumni: The alumni card itself is fine although it could use a hard cap to 4-6 damage/boost. The Dev's might feel hard caps look "unsophisticated" as one of them said earlier but then they should be better at game design where cards naturally play for balanced amount of points.I know you guys might be thinking WTF "alumni is fine" but wait till the other entry where it will make sense. Compare alumni JUST Alumni to fledgers/messengers and you will see that it is on the same power level/lower coz it's more "conditional" and is not active r1.

4)PMP: This card is one of the real culprits for this deck being so broken. I literally use aa to thin my remaining students even on a dry pass so I can play this card for guranteed alumnis, something that looks and feels ridiculous but is actually the correct line of play. Being able to replay alumnis again and again is kind of dumb. They should rework this card, and make it something synergistic with the mages deck, but not a 4 provision card that can play for 11-14 points

The cards and changes above will fix the deck in my opinion, make it weaker without killing the deck. What do you guys think?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/td2we9/the_broken_aspects_of_alumni_after_500_games/

leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *