My archetype review (season of the bear 2022)

geralt tsirilla gwent the witcher card game gwen

Since my post from last season was well-received and enabled a lot of constructive discussion I decided to do this periodically to discuss with the community what they think about the current state of the archetypes. I will list each factions's archetypes and comment my opinion (based on this season's experience in pro rank) whether it's viable (wins roughly 60-70% of the time), semi-viable (50/50) or needs more support/buff. As follows:

NG viable:
Double cross assimilate, enslave 5 calveit with illusionists

NG semi-viable:
Philip's ball, hyperthin, clog, Enslave 6 Ardal.

NG needs more support:
Soldiers, spies.

P.s.: Mill shouldnt be viable in my opinion, it is playable though.

MO viable:
Wild hunt
Relicts
Classic Deathwish (maybe my hot take)

MO Semi-viable:
Vampires
Kelly (match up dependent)
Arachas swarm (punished due to anti-swarm techs meant for elves)

MO needs support:
Beasts, thrive

SK viable:
Pirates
Self wound
Druids (a lot less played these days idk why)

SK semi-viable:
Warriors
Rain (win r1 or lose game)

SK needs support:
Also beasts, witchers (decent but not comparable to other SK archetypes)

ST viable:
Waylay elves (duh)
Alzur orbs (yes still)
Symbiosis with saskia

ST semi-viable:
Handbuff (earn last say or lose)
No Unit traps or madoc or both

ST needs help:
Dwarves, Harmony lost all hope at this point.

NR viable:
Siege stockpile or IZ
Alumni IZ
A combination of both

NR semi-viable:
Shieldwall king roegner (may be a hot take)

NR needs support:
Witchers (just a little bit more), Revenants/Spectres, dead leaders like Royal inspiration and Mobilisation.

SY viable:
Off the books bounty
Off the books midrange KoB
Firesworn
Off the books firesworn (also exists)

SY semi-viable:
Hidden cache passiflora KoB
Jackpot midrange or salamandar (apart from losing a couple provisions still playable)

SY needs help:
Crimes Crownsplitters (lined pockets) cant keep up after losing drill, self-poison, dead leader: blood money

I am 100% sure I missed a chunk, so please help me complete this list, difference of opinion about where each archetype stands at the moment will definitely be between community individuals and that's totally fine. We will gladly discuss the different opinions.

So in summary: variety is decent, and can make for an interesting competitive environment. Sometimes the gap between Tier1 decks (currently elves, alumni and siege) and the rest enlarges too much therefore little fine-tuning to keep things balanced is needed.

I am fully aware that this weekend will be about new releases and maybe buffing old archetypes will take a backseat to that but I hope the developers get back on it soon. We appreciate your work and your listening to our feedback as a gwent online community!

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/tsmqw9/my_archetype_review_season_of_the_bear_2022/

leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *